Pages

Is Twitter appropriate to academia?

As an additional channel of communication between participants & tutor, I encouraged the use of Twitter among the first-year medical students who did my Literature & Medicine module in TCD earlier this academic year. The feedback from one of the students suggests that Twitter might not get much take-up in certain corners of professional working life:
"I think the best way to improve the course is to get rid of the use of Twitter. Twitter is not an appropriate medium for use in an academic setting. Claims that Twitter is a device used by physicians and researchers I feel is unvalidated. I have talked to researchers and doctors I have worked with in the past and they laughed at the idea of using Twitter ever. It added nothing to my experience."
How about that for opposition?

No comments: