Pages

To the twits all a twitter over at Twitter ...

I just signed up to Twitter after my good pal Michael in www.fitzdesign.ie persuaded me to try it.

I got this email from the Twitter team ...

"Hello, new Twitter-er!
Using Twitter is going to change the way you think about staying in touch with friends and family... The New York Times calls Twitter "one of the fastest-growing phenomena on the Internet." TIME Magazine says, "Twitter is on its way to becoming the next killer app," and Newsweek noted that "Suddenly, it seems as though all the world's a-twitter." What will you think? http://twitter.com
Thanks again for signing up!"

I am not impressed with that. The exclamation marks. The grand claims about changing the way I think. The un-dated quotes (it's all very well to be one of the fastest-growing when you're starting out, but later on you'd want to be claiming something else, surely). But most of all I just don't find it clever or interesting enough, especially coming from people who see themselves as transforming the way we communicate.

I am sceptical about Twitter's staying power. I think there is confusion and a lack of unity about how it is to be used. The idea of telling everyone what you are doing now is simply not adhered to: you see people express their thoughts, chat, advertise events or products. (The one-sided replies you see of people's replies to others are a pain.)

The character restriction in what you can write seems to be a defining element and while that kind of thing can be privately fun and even creatively productive (as in haikus) it seems gimmicky beyond reason in interpersonal communications.

I predict the fad will fade into nought by the end of the decade.

...

To write a poem

In seventeen syllables

Is very diffic



No comments: