Pages

Even Dostoevsky sold stuff

"'Which does not mean that I claim some great importance for it [my life]. It is not a life that will bear much scrutiny. In fact, it is not much of a life as a price or a currency. It is something I pay with in order to write. That is what Pavel did not understand: that I pay too.' ...
Nevertheless, I pay too: he would say it again if she would suffer hearing it. He would say it again, and say more. I pay and I sell: that is my life. Sell my life, sell the lives of those around me. A Yakovlev trading in lives. The Finn was right after all: a Judas, not a Jesus. Sell you, sell your daughter, sell all those I love. Sold Pavel alive ad will now sell the Pavel inside me, if I can find a way. Hope to find a way of selling Sergei Nechaev too.
A life without honour; treachery without limit; confession without end."

(From J.M. Coetzee's The Master of St Petersburg (Minerva); page 222 in the 1995 paperback edition).

No comments: