Pages

Sycophantic spam



I received an unsolicited e-mail recently inviting me to join the 'WHO'S WHO' professional network.

"I am pleased to inform you that you have been nominated as a candidate for inclusion in the 2008 Edition commemorating the International WHO’S WHO Historical Society’s 80th year documenting biographies on successful individuals from around the world. We congratulate you! Nomination into WHO'S WHO is an honor in itself. WHO'S WHO has over 20,000 members in 154 countries worldwide. It is the most elite professional network in the world. Our members assist each other daily with business and career opportunities."

My problem is with the following line: "We congratulate you! Nomination into WHO'S WHO is an honor in itself."

An honour in itself? I know that I've been included simply because they have my e-mail address, and that the same would apply to anyone else. To dress it up as though I've just been nominated for an academy award is an insult - particularly when they follow it with 'we have 20,000 members in 154 countries'. Just how many honoured people are there in the world?

Could they not just simply explain the potential benefits of this networking service rather then heaping phony praise upon us?

No comments: